Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Random Coffee Facts

This morning I was a spaceball and forgot my wallet. Being the coffee freak that I am, my immediate reaction was not the (possibly more rational) thought of "oh, crap, I'm at the petrol station and there are 15 irritable commuters behind me waiting while I fluff around in my purse for spare change," but rather "OH, CRAP! How am I going to pay for my coffee??!!"
Thankfully my local java junky reload station (Dora's Cafe, on Collingwood St- GREAT coffee) was feeling compassionate and allowed me to put my double shot on layby.
Anyway, here are some random coffee facts, stolen from The Oatmeal's website:
1) Legend has it that the effects of coffee were first discovered by an Ethiopian shepard who noticed his goats going apesh*t after eating some little berries.
2) In the beginning, coffee beans were rolled in animal fat by African tribespeople and eaten as a kind of Redbull-esque energy bar.
3) The rise of Islam is largely to thank for the spread of the wonder bean throughout the world- the religion doesn't allow for the consumption of alcohol, but coffee is considered an ok drug of choice.
4) All coffee beans grow in a belt between the Tropics of Cancer and Capricorn.
5) In 1675, the King of England banned cafes, as he feared they were becoming popular meeting points for people who wanted to overthrow him.
5) There are two main types of coffee plants: Arabica and Robusta. Arabica is inarguably better quality in terms of taste, but Robusta contains 50% more caffeine and is often mixed with Arabica in order to provide a stronger "hit."
6) Coffee plants can grow to 10 meters tall.
7) The coffee bean is the second most commonly traded commodity on Earth. Oil is the first.
8) Just to get our facts strait: Espresso is not a type of coffee bean, roast, or blend. It is simply the product of preparing ground coffee in a particular way (though the grind used for espresso-making is finer than that used for filter coffee and other methods).
9) The term "Americano" comes from American GI's during WWII who would dilute their espresso with water in order to make it less bitter.
10) Finland consumes more coffee per person than any other country.

No comments:

Post a Comment